Sunday 24 November 2013

Big head

This weekend I've been giving thanks for the simplicity of the catering. Every time I've opened the fridge or a cupboard there's been something that needs using up so there's been less brain power involved let alone woman power! This has meant the little energy I've had has been free for other things...including emptying, washing and refilling afresh some of my herb and spice jars the contents of which were beyond using up!  Much thanks for the satisfaction this gave me, and for having a proper health food shop locally where you can buy 25g of just about anything weighed and bagged in the spot.

I've also been getting stuck into one of my make-it-up-as-you-go-along knitting projects which, I'm grateful to say, has turned into another beanie style hat suitable for wearing with long hair up and tucked in, and much gratitude too for this being a consideration as well, of course! There was a vague idea in my head but it evolved organically as my knitting often does. If any of you think 'Ooh that's nice!' and want to do something similar I could remember what I did and make a pattern of sorts I'm sure...just let me know.


After the reverse stocking stitch bands I went up another needle size to make the crown quite loose and drapey. I was using a circular needle as it's easier on my hands and wrists but knitting backwards and forwards as I've never knit in the round...after a couple of rows of this though I thought 'I'm knitting a circular thing flat on a circular needle - how daft is that?' and just carried on round on the next row. So there I am happily (and gratefully) knitting a tube with no purl rows or seam to sew up when it dawned on me it'd have to get smaller in a few inches and I didn't know how. I've never knitted on double pointed needles either but I did have a set of the right size still in their packet so I thought I'd have ago at that too for the decreasing at the top. Clearly this is a skill you learn in nana school along with making Shreddies. I'm not a nana, my manual control is limited and, of course, it never crossed my mind to put the tangle down and go and find some instructions...I'm far too in touch with my masculine side for that! When I'd finally finished - the hat, and beating myself up about it not being 'perfect' - it dawned on me that actually it's a pretty good attempt. It would actually be quite good if I'd known what I was doing and had been following a pattern by someone who knew even better. Better shut up now or I'll need a bigger size!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics