Wednesday 5 September 2012

Middle world

Considering it consisted of one taxi, two trains and two buses yesterday's journey went pretty smoothly. Four hours to cross the county...you could cross the country in a car in that time! Waiting for the first train there was an announcement at 9.34 that the 9.30 to Paignton was 60 minutes late. Those of us on the other side who'd seen it arrive and leave on time were mystified! Otherwise quite uneventful...the Tarka line, as I knew, is surrounded by lush countryside, in places the broad leaf woods so thick the tree tops look like broccoli heads. Highly recommended for an autumn journey when the leaves are turning...last time I did that I was off to watch tennis in Barnstaple with Amy. A young Laura Robson was amongst the players.

The low cloud was leaking slightly when I arrived there, though it was bright and there were shadows which reminded me of fake rain in films when they pour water on the actors but also shine spotlights on them so they can get the shots. Cracks me up every time...

The B&B is quite spartan...one towel, no TV, no en suite but it's cheap and clean, there's a vase of sweet peas by the bed and the view from my window is priceless. Plus the owner's given me the wifi code... Breakfast this morning would feed an army of angels...warm baguette, ham and cheese, butter, jam, marmalade and marmite, cereal and flask of cold milk, yoghurt, apple and banana...delivered to your room for the princely sum of £5!




I'm grateful for all of the above and for resting again after eating my first breakfast. Think I'll be a hobbit today...,I have an aversion to pampered first world expressions about 'overdoing' things (I'm on a few days' holiday in a beautiful place and I walked further than is comfortable to see more of it...this is not a cause for sympathy!) My 'accoutrements' were bound to cause some anxiety first time away from home but so far so good so I'm cautiously grateful for that. I've just tested my legs and they said walking any more today would be stupid, but so would staying indoors, it's such a lovely day...I think I'll see if I can find a sunny spot to read my book and have second breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics