Tuesday 11 September 2012

Compromising situations

I felt in need of some nurturing yesterday. I didn't feel particularly well, and I didn't feel at all energetic so I thought long and hard about how to make myself feel extra pampered without getting extra exhausted. This is what I did...

First of all a long lie in as I'd not slept well, followed by washing and dressing so I didn't feel an invalid. I did my shiatsu exercises to restore some balance, did a load of washing and washing up and sent a few emails to avoid having more to do today.  Having someone else make a meal for me would have been perfect so I compromised with things that were neither totally tin and packet junky nor deeply demanding in the chopping department! 

The company of someone who had known me longer than four years would have been ideal. Anyone who has met me since then only knows a little part of me, and understandably tends to mistake that fragment they've met for the whole... So I decided to watch the film of Red Dog. I don't often watch pay per view movies - it seems a bit decadent, especially if there's just one of you viewing per pay!  But this was the film of Louis Bernieres' novella of the true story of a hitch hiking canine counsellor, one of my favourite stories ever, so something special but sedentary to mark the day. Of course I cried buckets, but I laughed too, and felt uplifted. It's a feel good tale about love but like the best of these for me, not about the sort that comes in couples or families.

I give thanks for all the joy I gave myself yesterday and for a few kind virtual messages of support. Today? You've heard of Jacob's Creek? Well, his has nothing on mine! Sorry, it's a joke that works better spoken but you get my drift... I'd planned to get a few chores done in town but I keep putting off getting moving, thinking maybe just another cup of tea, or a chapter of my book, or perhaps a couple of paracetamol might help. I'm immensely grateful that so few of the things I have to do, I really HAVE to do today and that, even though I'm reading about a doughty Amazonian tribe, I don't have to attempt to emulate them. I'm grateful the book mentions both Durkheim and liminality, words from beyond the grave baggage of my days these days.

I'm grateful I'm well enough to read a book and look out of the window, to make and drink a cup of tea. I'm grateful I know when to compromise and when to push on or give up, shape up or curl up and nap. I may seem weak, but I know how to look after myself, that's stronger than almost anyone I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics