Tuesday 4 October 2016

Natural born (pain)killers

Last night it was if my pain wanted to punish me for all I'd been doing while it was away. Lying down didn't make the slightest bit of difference but I was grateful I did as by breathing into it steadily eventually I produced a little cloud of endorphin peace to slip behind to sleep. This stood me in good stead too to just lie there unconcerned when her up floors had a mahoosive tantrum repeatedly banging doors and windows, hurling things around and screaming. I thought about my various options and decided all things must pass and this too did...and I give thanks for getting up for some leftover plum crumble from the freezer to occupy myself meanwhile. I give thanks for liberal application of lavender oil about my person before finally settling down and sleeping quite well and soundly.

I give thanks for lying in this morning listening to the various neighbourhood sounds unwilling to move and spoil my relative comfort. For hearing a chain saw start up nearby and wishing someone would chop down the self seeded sapling at the bottom of the garden that has grown almost as high as the building, too close for comfort and too wide to see the sea around...and that is exactly what happened! I felt sorry for the tree which had made a life for itself in the wrong place to suit the nearby humans, but it made interesting (and ache distracting) viewing watching the chaps with ropes and hard hats and a little tank tracked tugger with a built in shredder in front, and they left everything so tidy and neat blowing all the scraps off the grass afterwards. And gave me back the view I fell in love with and made me want to live here...the view that makes me catch my breath in wonder, that makes me laugh out loud with delight and brings tears to my eyes of gratitude, that sustained me through the darkest times. I had made myself forget how much I missed it, and I give thanks for managing that not inconsiderable feat...but to unexpectedly have back one of the my many lost joys is one of the most amazing feelings I've ever had.

I give thanks for more light too of course, with that particular quality of light from over the sea...and more sound of the waves too! I also give thanks for Clive coming and sorting out a range of problems with the indoor lights so that my present is as bright as can be! He knows the foibles of this ancient property (and its owner) better than most and is one of the few people I'd be willing to let across the threshold in my current decrepit state, so it was lovely to have a catch up too even if I had to miss my afternoon nap to catch it. 

I give thanks to Jenny for delivering cards from herself and Cathy...and that having to go downstairs to let Clive in meant that I could collect them. I give thanks for something as yet undecided but extremely easy to make for tea. Inside I'm dancing round the room but in reality it's an early night for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics