Wednesday 21 November 2012

Dropping off

The sun was up, the sky was blue...Yes, I was out to enjoy the view, and despite the dire weather stories you will have heard the afternoon was rather pleasant! I had too many things to do in town here to fit round my treatment tomorrow so I borrowed some of tomorrow's energy to do some today and organised a break in the bad weather to make it less of a chore...  although I was very appreciative of the sounds of the storm from snug inside my bed as I fell asleep last night...

Yesterday I also gave thanks for my totally delicious tea. I'd promised myself something easy, maybe just removing a cardboard sleeve and film lid as I felt so bushed, but there were things needed eating up and I came up with a recipe that didn't take much work and work that could be done in instalments with resting in between - baked slices of aubergine, topped with red lentils cooked in chopped tomatoes with onion, garlic, garam masala and paprika, and then grated cheddar and smoked cheddar with mixed seeds (sunflower, sesame, poppy and linseed) melted on top of that, all served with a little jacket potato. I would have paid good money for that...well, I did anyway but you know what I mean! Followed by date and cinnamon porridge for breakfast and a fresh baked lemon meringue pie for a lunchtime snack my taste buds have been particularly thankful the last twenty four hours...

The pie came from one of the new cafes here and I took it to the sea front with an enormous take away cappuccino as it was far too nice to be indoors. Another new cafe? Yes, we do seem to have a 'let us eat cake' attitude to the recession here. There are places closing down of course, but there were five soon to be ex Shoezone staff waiting outside their closed on Monday store for the lorry to come and clear out the last of the stock, cheerfully smoking and laughing and drinking Red Bull obviously oblivious to the fact that a more miserable demeanour might have been expected... 

I'm grateful for several great bargains among the things I'd gone to buy (all the more money to buy cake you see!), and can confidently predict that, should I be able to stay awake til tea time, I shall be removing a cardboard sleeve tonight as the shopping bags became rather heavy with serendipitous swag and I still haven't recovered enough to unpack them. I'm also very grateful that I have something of this nature to eat...and that I've been out so much the last few days to enjoy the autumn colours because there's hardly a turned leaf left on the trees in Devon now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics