Wednesday 7 November 2012

With knobs on


This morning I decided to stay in bed, the better to admire the new knobs on the merchant's chest. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to catch up with lying down and that I could afford some new knobs for my old chest...see, me and Katie Price we have more in common than you might imagine! 

Contemplating this piece of furniture set off a chain of gratitudes. It bears many scars including scrabbling spaniel's claw marks but still is so beautiful and useful to me and I'm sure it appreciates the new knobs and drawer linings, and the extra polish I gave it as well.

When I was a merchant this actually stored my wares but thinking about it, I realise it's become a repository for memories now as much as for things. I'm grateful to Nat who witnessed me falling in love with the item on display in MFI fifteen years or so ago and who kindly offered to operate plastic on my behalf as this was before I had any of my own.  I give thanks to the trees for providing the wood and the workers who cut the pieces and packaged them up in cardboard and delivered them to me. I'm grateful I was in finer fettle then and could assemble the hefty flatpack myself...nowadays I find just carrying the drawers hard enough, and yesterday all but the smallest had to be taken individually to the kitchen for their makeover. I give thanks for all the people who've helped me move it around over the years, and mend it when it's became damaged in transit too. For my good fortune in having possessions to store and a solid and comely place to do so...

Of course, there are things that have to be done here apart from delight in a chest of drawers and eventually I got up and did some. Not many...I'm not at my best today. I'm grateful there was some tennis on TV and I managed to stay awake for most of it...and that I got the peas out the bath. No, that's not one of my many typos...I do mean peas... but my hands are too tired of typing to explain. Be happy for me even though you don't understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics