Friday 9 November 2012

Lazarus with a glowstick


I give thanks for yesterday being such a fabulous, mistress of the universe day. 

It did me good to walk down the hill, limbering up my limbs a little though I was still very creaky and achy. It was mild and still and patchily sunny with the turning leaves looking extra glowy in the light and a treat not to need my coat done up or gloves on. I was umming and aahing whether to go to the veg shop first or the supermarket, and the veg shop won as though all I wanted to do was drop off some used carriers the big bag of them I had was rather bulky. They were absolutely delighted as they had just that minute run out so I had that lovely synchronicitous feeling, as probably they did too! The supermarket was rather unco-operative but making the joke in my head while I queued amused me, plus there was a cute older bloke to admire (only slightly more common than unicorns, I find!)

When I got to the Triangle the busker with the violin who's sometimes around was setting up. He has a built up shoe and crutches, but his playing has wings and all our spirits soar and the people sitting outside the cafes applaud. It makes a lovely accompaniment to my treatment too. Rachel was delighted with the jar of mincemeat I'd brought her and we were swapping mince pie tales. I remembered coming home early from working in the market one snowy day just before Christmas, taking the dog out for a walk in the grounds of the castle across the road and coming back to find Bob had made mince pies, and she agreed that was Christmas in a box with ribbons on. Afterwards I popped into the Swiss patisserie opposite for a broccoli and stilton pasty, delighted they had one left as they've often run out by the time I get there...and then outside there was a woman outside with a blue roan and tan cocker spaniel puppy the same size as Fraser was when we had him and just as keen to be petted by all and sundry. Love on legs is a cocker spaniel and I was suddenly longing for one of my own again, though luckily the price she'd paid soon brought me back to reality... 

I was dithering again...should I go straight home or linger longer...and I thought I'd just see if the lunchtime sandwich bar had any milk left as they also tend to run out....and they had just enough for a takeaway cuppa for me. Up until then all this had happened on with the violinist providing a varied selection of background music but when I went in there all I could hear was their radio or music player. I was primed for an aural comedown...until I realised it was playing Basket Case! The woman was humming along as she made my drink and I said this is one of my desert island discs, in fact I sometimes think I'd like it played at my funeral. And the guy said 'Do you like Green Day then?' as if it was a strange thing, and I said yes but this track specially so. And we were chatting away for a while about the video and so on and then I went outside and the violin man was playing Pachelbel's Canon...which, as I've mentioned before is another thing I've thought of having played at my funeral and is actually arranged around the same chord progression. Oh well, I thought, maybe this is it for me...Maybe I'm about to swap my mortal coil for a cloud of coincidence. I'll certainly die a happy bunny if it's now and I'm very honoured to get to hear the tunes played together whilst still in my body but I hope I get a chance to eat the pasty first! And I'm very grateful to say I did, sitting in a quiet sea front corner marvelling at how calm the water was, reflecting the various colours of the sky. 


I came home and still not hurting or stiff and revelling in it...like Lazarus with a glow stick I was! Making tea was interesting as my normal ideas of what went with what and how seemed to have been blown out of the window. I had enough common sense left to realise one pan/pot was probably best, with oven cooking so I could wander off safely, but I'm pleased to say the strange concoction of various ingredients that needed using up was actually rather yummy...kind of like risotto only with couscous, feta and veg. If I can remember exactly what I did, I'd definitely do it again...

Setting up my new Streak was pretty simple. It's definitely a newer model, it has a bunch of extra built in apps (most of which are of no interest to me), a slightly different key pad including a smiley selection button and other little differences but nothing too demanding. I decided to set a few bookmarks and typed 'losing the will to die' into the search engine for the first time and it came up with the suggestion 'losing the will to die blog'. Realising this Google word association was created by people who aren't me looking for it was, honestly, one of the most amazing experiences of my life. So thank you, all of you for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics