Saturday 21 December 2013

School's out!

If someone asked me to sum up my feelings about this year, I'd have to say ‘It’s been an education’. I certainly didn't consciously sign up for some of the courses of study involved (and in some cases staying ignorant might have meant a whole lot more bliss), but hey ho, even when you’re willingly being taught, what you learn often has little to do with a curriculum or lesson plan... From your mother’s knee to dreaming spires you’re as likely to find out about people (yourself in particular) and what makes the world you’re in at the time go round as how to tie your shoelaces or get a degree or whatever. I give thanks for more knowledge and understanding. Also for quiet contemplation of these matters as the year really ends and starts again, no matter what the calendar date may be.

I give thanks for a very pleasant time last night at Laura's, meeting some lovely people including the cab driver who turned around when I realised I'd left my key behind...and back when I found it again! Gratitude too for gauging how long staying would be a pleasure before pain and exhaustion kicked in...I was in bed fast asleep an hour after I left her house even with the key confusion. 

Today I've been grateful for quiet and unpressured but gradually productive hours, making tasty things to put in the freezer (and then take out again in a few days!), cleaning, tidying and prettifying the things that rarely get attention and finishing a sewing job that's been hanging around for a very long time in order to put my sewing machine away for the season and fill the table by the sofa with nibbles and snacks instead...

I give thanks for my cards and gifts, especially a pretty handmade card from Pat and vegetables from Rachel!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics