Thursday 26 December 2013

Mods and rollers

Last night I was very grateful for the mildness and stillness (even the tinnitus was quiet!) so  that I could focus on the soothing sound of waves through my open window rather than my grumbly old bones.

This morning waking up and getting up was most unappealing, so I gave thanks we'd arranged to go to watch the walk into the sea with Laura and Chumba and had to stir ourselves sharpish anyhow to join the streams of dogs and people converging on the beachfront. Gratitude for the incredibly mild and brilliantly sunny weather which meant there was a huge crowd watching (so huge that a few extra inadvertently almost joined the walk as tide kept trying to reclaim the little strip of sand we were standing on!) but still just about small enough for everyone could stop and chat to people they knew.

There's always a lovely jolly atmosphere down there and this year even more so, and I gave thanks the swimmers looked like they were actually rather enjoying it, and though we are all grateful for the work the RNLI do,  I particularly love it when they do a display of skids, jumps and handbrake turns for our entertainment each side of the dip... And when a tanker slithers through the sand bank gap afterwards.  I give thanks for Laura and Bob braving the queue at Eastcliff and Chumba helping me guard an unexpectedly empty table in the bright warm sunshine for a cuppa afterwards, it was so good to see them doing such a roaring trade and hear some proper mod scooters (almost) roar up afterwards to add to the Bank Holiday seaside atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics