Monday 10 February 2014

Not part of the master plan

What's not? Oh, most of today! I'd decided to spend a bit more of my son's inheritance (he'll get the reference even if you don't!) on a cab to negotiate the tricky first part of the journey where the timetable for replacement buses meant I'd have to allow a couple of hours to Exeter, so felt quite calm until the horrendous traffic jam that meant it seemed very likely I'd miss the first train...but when we got there we discovered it was a bus and there was just enough time to board it!

OK, I'm going, replacement bus - we can do this...replacement bus to Bristol Parkway's a bit over the top but I'll resume my beautifully planned and beautifully scenic journey there... Actually that turned out to be the best bit, and I give thanks for the straw dogs and man by the motorway (well, wicker or willow or whatever they are!), and for passing so many rainbows and a factory called 'inspirational basketware' (that I'm not going to look up because I'm having so much fun thinking what such stuff might look like!) and the gorgeous silver leaved woods south of Bristol.

But we got there in time to miss all useful connections...and when I finally got on a train for Brum it was delayed by a signalling fault. I explained to various railway staff that all this meant I was going to miss the bus at the other end...but of course they don't care about buses that aren't the sort that replace trains! And for ages I couldn't get an internet connection to work out a plan whatever we were on by then...but finally I did, just in time to get off at the right stop and negotiate a different route to get here in time to see a sliver of sunset and a sprinkling of snow on the highest peak before darkness fell.... and a cafe selling blueberry scones with jam and cream or rum butter just a few paces away from the hotel (be very afraid for your inheritance, Bob, be very afraid!) And I realised, that in a similar way to how I say I can now get the feeling of climbing a mountain when taking the shortest stroll? Well getting here today I feel like I've at least traversed a couple of national boundaries and am on some distant continent so I'm grateful for that!

Anyway, now I'm back with the programme, in a warm room with internet access and a bath and a shower and someone is cooking my tea and will wash up after and there's DVDs you can watch if you're bored with TV, and books to borrow if you've read all yours and I'm very grateful indeed!

You all know what the lakes look like by night I'm sure...you may even have bought the postcard...so here's my room instead!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics