Wednesday 12 February 2014

Running water

By 'eck it's been wet and windy today...could almost have been down south! If it hadn't been for the boring prospect of curling on TV I might have have been tempted to go back to bed. But after an early night, a long lie in and delicious breakfast of 'Lakeland' rarebit on crumpets, I felt the need to venture outdoors so I give thanks for that and the most waterproof and cosy coat I've ever had in my entire pedestrian life! 

I'm grateful for the breakfasts here - lots of choice for people who don't eat piggies, though the dinner options are a bit sparse and I think I might go for bangers and mash in the bar tonight. It would be rude to come to Cumberland and not eat a sausage! They serve some of the most prettily presented food here I've ever eaten but there's is far too much of it and an experienced guest advised I asked for small portions (then I might be able to eat all my dessert!). Gratitude too for meeting a fellow solo female traveller and share appreciation of the joys of not being The Person in Charge of Everything for a while...

I give thanks for a gap in the ferocity to watch the waves break on the lake shore from the remains of the roman fort across the road from here and think of Juanita whose birthday it would have been yesterday - a lady who understood the importance of treating deteriorating health with holidays! And for some jolly folk with a gift shop just down the road by the pier. Clearly made of stronger stuff than the blueberry scone cafe which was shut on a day when their offerings would have been most welcome...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics