Sunday 16 February 2014

Why not try?

The journey home I'd originally booked was doable, and the one I ended up with clearly was too as I did it...but I am totally done in now! The extra waiting and walking and lugging of luggage has left me incredibly sore and tired. Hmm, you're probably thinking, this doesn't sound much like gratitude...but it dawned on me that if you were in a wheelchair a replacement bus for a train wouldn't just be awkward but totally inaccessible, so I'm very grateful I could get home at all! It reminds me of the poorly reasoned 'why not try?' alternatives Tesco on line grocery offer you sometimes if an item is out of stock. Vegetarian beans and sausage unavailable? Why not try...pork balls and beans instead? I'm grateful vegetarian beans and sausage were available last time I ordered because that on toast was all I was fit to make for lunch today. Oh, and I give great thanks that the power was still on to cook it!

Gratitude too that the chocolates I dropped in the bathwater last night are actually quite edible now they're dry. I'm always dropping things, so if you are too, but like to nibble goodies while you soak, then make sure you use oils and foams that are literally good enough to eat!

I've also been genuinely grateful no one local has said 'Oooh, you're back and it's such a lovely day. Would you like to go out somewhere for a birthday treat?' Because it would have been churlish to say no, but I couldn't not have done. Apart from providing essential maintenance and sustenance, almost all I've been able to do today is lie on the sofa watching pre-recorded TV. Do not mistakenly imagine this means my trip up north was a failure - if I hadn't have gone I'd probably have spent my birthday itself in this way so have gratitude for trying, and achieving, something completely different instead.

And if you're in the mood for a weather report: floods of tears for the finale of Big Town Dance...so I gave thanks I could rewind to watch it again! If you have the opportunity to join in something with others put your heart and soul and whatever your body is capable of into it, and if not, why not try...putting your heart and soul and whatever your body is capable of into doing something on your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics