Tuesday 23 September 2014

Fields of vision

I've a fairly well stocked vocabulary but I'm grateful for a day which has left me a few appreciative words short of an adequate description... and surprisingly tired! I went on a Mountain Goat 'High Adventure' tour because I do love to get high, and can quite see why intoxication was named after altitude!

I'm grateful for going on roads with views that were worth gazing on despite the low clouds. There was so much to see nearby you didn't need distant backdrops too, the kind of rugged wildness I hardly ever get to see as there are few negotiable highways let alone willing and able drivers, reminiscent of some favourite railway lines in Scotland. I'm grateful for enough window sears to go round on the minibus, and for what I though was tour guide humour in a high pass lay-by - 'Oh, it's 11 o'clock... must be time for coffee,' preceding him making us all hot drinks and handing out biscuits! Open air tea... my favourite!

There was lovely lowland scenery too and I'm grateful I took off to munch an apple and wander round and watch the oldest working water mill in England instead of sitting in a pub eating lunch. I'm grateful I tried to find the owner of some money I spotted in the doorway too, but after asking around and failing I'm quite grateful to keep it too. I'm grateful one of Britain's favourite views was a bit murky round the edges and thus not too full of thronging gawping - wonderful Wastwater - not been before and will probably spend the rest of my life trying to get back and staying longer though there's no service bus or hotel so it'll be a challenge...

I give thanks for the glorious swooping vistas across farmland to the Irish Sea... and the astonishing variety of owls I saw at the trust. They all seem to have such a presence whether, they'd fit on the palm of your hand or are as big as a badger!

I'm grateful I'm staying here B&B so I don't feel I have to go down to eat tonight but can snooze in the bath with a book and a Food Doctor couscous pot before an early night and a long lie in, as tomorrow I have nothing planned...yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics