Friday 25 September 2015

Pleased to meet me

I give thanks for horizontal light on the crisping leaves before the sun went down yesterday and the pink pearl of the sky and sea afterwards...for owls calling in the trees in the night.

I give thanks for the easy friendliness of the place I live, the way strangers interact and spread smiles and laughter. I give thanks for thus being able to help a stuck customer choosing frames in Specsavers (as she did for me!) and discuss the aesthetic merits of vintage tractors in Superdrug.


I give thanks for the river calling 'Come down here and look at me!' through a gap in the buildings, and for phones taking such reasonable photos when you've left your camera behind.  I give thanks for my own goldfish memoried 'Oh look at the sea!', giving thanks that it fills my soul with joy again...and again...and again...

I give thanks for this heart warming and thought provoking story of helping people do what matters to them at the end. Sometimes it's not the big stuff you yearn for, which is good because sometimes it's the not the big stuff you can get, sometimes it's a teacup list more than a bucket one...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34297590

I give thanks for watching Wild reminding me I must download that ancient classic Covers EP, and then remembering I have it on....cassette! I give thanks I also have a fully functional cassette playing stereo system (and headphones!) but also for finding this charming video to go with one of the tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0wL-PN5dQ
And I give thanks for our South American street musicians reminding me of the film Wild playing a song about a hammer and a nail - and beaming back at me as I thanked them and put some money in the collection.

I give thanks for searching, lengthily but fruitlessly so far, for a piece of music I heard a few years ago. It was something to do with the Adirondack mountains or Saranac lake and as I'd heard of neither at the time it sounded to me as if inspired by Scotland. Obviously I've done all the usual searches and I know it was on Classic FM on a Sunday...and I remember Ann commenting on it, but neither Facebook nor my blog will yield a link or a further clue! So why do I give thanks for searching? Oh, because I got to read so many posts I'd forgotten about and have ended up fully grasping for the first time what an amazing enterprise a four and a half year long daily gratitude blog is and how it changes you. I get why people say nice things about it...and, this is going to sound well daft I know...but I get why people say nice things about me. I think I'd quite like me if I met me too - although I give thanks for also knowing there's always room for improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics