Saturday 21 May 2016

Why am I here?

The page views have been dropping off a little lately, and while I'm genuinely grateful folk have better things to do than read my blog it made me pause and wonder whether after almost five years I should still be writing it at all.

Someone once suggested I should be 'spicing it up' a bit, which I would if I could but it's about finding the things to be grateful for in my days, and there's rarely anything spicy going on, in fact often not much that's obviously nice at all. And that after all is the point...and so I give thanks for carrying on peering into the doom and gloom and finding the little twinkles of light, the little treasures in a life that's poor in so much we're taught to value. And if other people appreciate my appreciation, I certainly appreciate that... but if not, well it's not compulsory or necessary to validate the practice in any way and I give thanks for working that out.

I give thanks many several sets of neighbours were enjoying their evening yesterday for their sakes, and even more so for mine that I found a quiet corner to do the thing you can have more and more of when you have less and less of pretty much everything else - meditation.

I give thanks for the grey wet weather today, just perfect for staying indoors getting on with many chores. I give thanks for the sound and smell of the rain, the bright greens of newly unfolding leaves.

I give thanks for a surprising amount of energy and that though lots of bits of me hurt I've been able to work round or through the pain. For cooking and cleaning and sewing and sorting out paperwork and possessions. For a delicious dead to the world late afternoon siesta. For the smell of my dinner waiting...

1 comment:

  1. Your post today made me consider whether I view your blog, usually last thing at night before I switch off the PC, because maybe I have "nothing better to do". But the truth is that I really enjoy seeing the world through your eyes and ears and today your nose. I appreciate your appreciation of the mundane and the sublime. I feel aggrieved that life has dealt you a difficult hand, but am somewhat inspired by the way that you embrace the gloominess while accentuating the positive. You also take a pretty mean photo! Thank you and please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics