Monday 28 August 2017

Deeply dippy

Feeling creaky and tired today after much busyness trying to avoid a 'last of the summer' whine over these unexpected days of fine weather, I was sort of grateful Mima and I had agreed that despite the crowds and unhelpful tide times it would be rude not to attempt at least a wet bum paddle and I had to eventually stir. I wasn't keen, even the trek down the hill seemed too arduous and when we got our feet wet we soon decided it was much too cold to actually swim... Though many degrees warmer than the ice bucket brook yesterday!


What sometimes happens when I've decided I'm not going to do something though, especially with great medical unknowns nudging me, is that I think I must! So I give thanks for giving the chilly sea another go and getting a proper dip. Swimming is one of the few things I do less well than before that I think I actually enjoy more...immersion being such a sterling treatment for all manner of mental ills.

I give thanks for a potter about the teeming town beaches, where almost as many people seemed to be on the water in some way or other as in it or looking on. For being in time for the last rhubarb and ginger cake as we missed the Thai noodles next door. For chatting to a family who'd just availed themselves of the kind of 'boat in a box' I considered buying when I first moved here before logistics and illness put paid to the plan...it seemed a great success and now Mima and I have half a plan to get one for more adventures another time if I manage to continue to impersonate someone well and fit so well!

I give thanks for continuing to do this against all odds especially as I'm still dippy and distracted in my head, leaving a bag of groceries on the floor in Boots after packing my rucksack at the counter. I give thanks, after trundling back down the hill again, there was such a long queue waiting to board a just arrived bus I had time to zip into the store and retrieve my shopping and join the end of it for a ride half way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics