Thursday 31 August 2017

Taking the trouble

I give thanks for remembering this time last year I was taking one last 'one last trip' with Jan. I knew there was trouble ahead, but I give thanks I didn't realise quite what horrors the coming twelve months had in store or I might lost my appetite for buckwheat crêpes and French pâtisserie and flown away with the lorikeets!

It seems for most of my years there's been trouble ahead, behind... or somewhere closer by...sometimes smiling beside me pretending to be something else entirely. I give thanks this has taught me to treasure the odd hours here and there when it's been less evident. Sometimes just the moments. I give thanks for sunflowers seen in a field from the top deck of the bus.

Today's been heavy on the stress levels. I give thanks for the release of laughter with trainee nurse Taylor who held my hand and helped keep up a rambling conversation to distract me, and drown out the conversation between the struggling surgeon and attending staff the other side of the screen. For laughing with Julie too afterwards. For trying not to get worked up about the fact the general opinion is that the procedure may not have worked. For the stunningly heavy rain on the journey home. For Higgidy pie for my tea. For knowing, barring medical emergencies (and I'm really not in the mood for those) I can take it easy for a few days now... For the people who've taken the trouble kind thoughts.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics