Sunday 29 July 2012

A day with words

First thanks of the day for the refreshing rain showers. I wasn't out in any but I love the smell of rain on dry ground and foliage...

Thanks also to those of you who appreciated yesterday's post. So often on life I've stated what seem to me to be obvious, if unstated, truths only be told I have the wrong end of the stick - if not metaphorically beaten with it! Perhaps I'm just ahead of my time sometimes...as a teenager I was thrown out of A Level English Literature for the heresy of asking how the teacher, or indeed anyone else centuries later, could know for sure exactly what a writer meant to convey with a certain word or phrase. Forty years later studying for my OU degree I was delighted to find it is now the norm to accept that each reader creates their own individual meaning by virtue of the way their own social and literary background colours their interpretation of certain words. Also as a writer myself, I would feel I'd failed in some way if my work didn't say different things to different people. Also, inspiration doesn't arrive with a preprepared with a bunch of exam notes you know? Sometimes we don't know ourselves where the things we say come from actually!

Thanks for the delight of seeing the Murray brothers playing doubles together which I never have before. It didn't really matter to me that they didn't win as that's just the final score - as I said it was watching them play that I enjoyed. Jamie always seems to have a warm rapport with his partners, and it was great to see Andy having the opportunity to have a rapport with anyone on court! Always good to see siblings doing stuff together anyway...and good that Andy won his match today so won't feel too down on himself.

I give thanks for taking it easier yesterday. Sometimes building up your stamina can feel a lot like wearing yourself out! I had a much needed long lie in and an early night doing remarkably little in between and have been a bit more energetic today. I've been having a go at making a false window frame surface out of wood filler as the one I have is not fit to paint. I've also been sewing up the cardigan I knitted. I give thanks I find these kinds of tasks pleasant...and that they're going well so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics