Saturday 28 July 2012

Thanks Danny & Co

I'm not a tremendous fan of patriotism...national pride can be a few short steps from genocide even though what constitutes a nation or a border is often so arbitrary. The map of the world is always changing and its citizens have always moved from one place to another and mingled blood but (apart from psychopaths) we have a natural desire to feel we belong so we tend to divide everything into 'us' and 'them'...changing the usses and thems as context requires. Racial purity is becoming increasingly rare and in sport allegiance can be altered for money and/or in reference to a single forebear but nonetheless, because of the fierce way we divide ourselves up, there is something rather amazing about two hundred and four groups that currently believe they are separate countries coming together to be pleased and proud in doing something together (plus independents...see, those lines are getting blurry already!). I don't think I've ever seen an Olympian procession where the team members looked quite so delighted to be taking part so maybe that sense was especially prevalent this year...the wonder of it! Also the wonder of all those diverse volunteers who constructed and performed the show...I loved that they were celebrated for their endeavours too.

I'm always up for a bit of a spectacle and celebration, me. I love to 'ooh' and 'aah', and as you know laugh, cry and clap with the greatest of ease so an Olympic ceremony is always going to be fair game for some entertainment. What surprised me about this one was how much I enjoyed it. I expected to be impressed by display, by co ordination, technology, vision and skill - that's the norm for these events these days - but I didn't expect to be impressed by what was displayed. I didn't expect there to be so much for non team players to enjoy. I loved that it was funny and quirky and encompassed what wasn't pomp and ceremony. That the 'establishments' featured weren't the ones you might expect and that it celebrated the 'every day' and how the current 'everyday' came to be. Like some others I wasn't overwhelmed by the final choice of act but it did make us want it to stop, and it was getting rather late!

So, yes, 'proud to be British' is a minefield for me but I give thanks for currently identifying myself with the place where the Olympics are being held and to Danny & Co for making me feel so!

I also give great thanks that a Swedish Wallander is on tonight. No, we don't do everything better than everyone else...let's have some rationality here.

2 comments:

  1. What a brilliant piece Gabi, well said and well thought out, certainly made me sit up and think.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a sheer pleasure to read !! so true about the mixture i thought i was english only to find out only a few years ago ,that my ancestors were from southern ireland ,stornoway ,scottish canadians , oh thanks for info on wallender,have watched "the bridge" , the killing and english version of wallender .and yes sorry sir paul but no !!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics