Wednesday 25 July 2012

Park life

First thanks for the smell of summer night. Isn't it wonderful? Doesn't it make you want to...well whatever it makes you want to do, I hope you got to do it or if not you can remember it well enough to remember why you did! Me? I'd like to be sitting outside sharing food with friends. I don't get to do that much and I think remember pretty much every single time ever. Killerton Park with Jared and Ross and Fran and friends, cover bands and fireworks and a HUGE picnic. Excellent!

Secondly I give thanks that my bedroom is so small. Even when technical arrangements mean it's easiest to stay in bed I can reach almost everything within its walls

Thirdly for a programme about being in care by someone who had been. That was what made it so special, because if you haven't been you can give all sorts of advice and opinions but you don't really know. This was someone who'd got a degree and been in a boy band and was doing pretty well considering so many of us end up drunk or on drugs, in jail, with our own kids in care, dying young from crime or suicides. Oh yeah so I'm doing pretty damn good too, I know! A brief round of applause I think, don't you? But the thing is you have a bit of a hole inside where safety and security should have been that never really heals. You're put into care because people don't, so you're damaged already, and what happens next, even if it's supposed to be 'for your own good' will feel like it's punishment for your own bad, and you make bad choices because you have no idea what good should be and people getting exasperated and cross only makes it worse. Anyway, it was so sad for me to think about things but very moving to hear kids and adults talking about stuff I really understand...instead of hearing people talking about their childhood memories and having to just whistle a tune in my head til they are done...

Fourthly I give thanks for doing my Shiatsu meridian stretches this morning for the first time this year! I used to do them pretty much every day, and Salute to the Sun and so on and when they were first talking about operations and bags I couldn't imagine how that would work with some of the positions I used to get in. But with all the other things that went on it got so I lost the knack somehow anyway.

Fifthly for just thinking to myself...gosh, I can't remember what happened in CSI last night...and then remembering that I'd fallen asleep part way through. Duh! It's recorded so I can catch up this summer night. The beach trip was quite exhausting so I went back to park life today. There are worse places to be...

2 comments:

  1. Angel,
    My eldest granddaughters chap is 25 and as you have said, a not un-typical product of the system. He is staying at my daughters, calls her mum, comes here with her and calls me 'grannygrape'. Asked my daughter the other day has she got the papers yet, what papers she said, back came the reply "so you can adopt me".
    Amanda admitted she sometimes feels she has gained a son. My gratitude for the day is "I think Kelvin has gained a family and roots from which to grow" Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a lovely story from Pat,i was adopted but as i got older never really fitted in with them,dont think it was their fault ?( hated boarding school ?)until i had my own family ,but still never felt comfortable with outsiders as i called them ??then age 60 met my birth mum she was really lovely but i didnt belong there either,met my half sisters well 2 of them one was horrified (didnt think i was that bad ??/)so it is a silly world sometimes, but there are always things as Gabi says too be thankful for ,sorry for the whinge : )

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics