Saturday 22 December 2012

Favours

I'm grateful for deciding a brisk(ish) walk would blow away the cobwebs and come down feelings after such a pleasant week. I like my own company and solitary pursuits but after being reminded what other ways there are to be (both better and worse if you want to make judgements!) I can feel a bit low sometimes, especially this time of year, so a good time to connect with myself and nature...

I gave thanks for the wonderful two tone colours of the sea, sandy muddy brown near the shore and a beautiful misty turquoise further out with the headlands the kind of grey purple that only has a name of its own on a paint chart...

On the way out there was a card from a friend not heard from in a very long time, and another very beautiful and clever handmade one and little gift from a cyber one so that cheered me further and then, before I'd even reached the end of the terrace I met a brand new neighbour, so stopped to say hello and welcome. Poor man had just split up from his wife but he did get custody of a graceful and stately standard poodle who came and gave me that 'you need a hug' thing good dogs will do, and must be a comforting companion for him. Then when I got near the mightily impressive ocean I saw an unbelievably welcome sight - the flag of East Cliff cafe flying - and spent a happy half hour with another man and his dog (a guide dog this time), jolly Roger (one of the owners), a mug of tea and a toasted cranberry and orange tea cake. Apart from a blow up santa and Roger's mum we were the only ones there which might seem reasonable given the weather, but the rest of you were missing out I can tell you!

I gave thanks for a kind and thoughtful email from one of the aforementioned stoma nurses, a friendly start to my day. Might sound sad to have a stoma nurse's email make you feel cared for, but not as sad as if there hadn't been anything at all! The loneliness of some people's lives has been very much on my mind today, two I knew who died alone this year especially. It's a time we tend to think of our favourite people, the people we love best, appreciate and value most...but there are so many we don't think about at all, let alone value and include on our favourites lists for company. They are valuable too even if we don't see why so easily, and might need reminding themselves now and then. I'm grateful for the bargain box of favourite chocs I bought for myself for that very reason today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics