Thursday 20 December 2012

Into each life

Well, the weather yesterday wasn't nearly as bad to be out in as it looked to be from inside so that can be gratitude number one. The cloud that had been emptying itself just kind of dropped on the town afterwards so everything was very atmospheric with the sea all churny and grey.

I went into the first electrical shop I passed to start my quest for some mini battery operated lights for my mini 'tree'...and they had they very thing. Just one set left just waiting for me! I was very pleased that was so easy... It wasn't particularly cold but I put some gloves on when I came out of the shop and thrust my hands deep into my pockets and wondered what on earth it was I could feel there. I didn't recognise the shape or the weight or the texture so I hauled it out and discovered a brandy miniature I'd bought a few days before to get change from a twenty pound note. Laura had said she would make me a little Christmas cake when she made hers but I'd thought just in case she hasn't I'll get this to pour on a supermarket rich fruit cake and cover with marzipan.

I was on the way to meet her for a little light pre birthday afternoon tea in a rather up market (for round here) bistro cafe so I thought I'd check then on her baking progress before finalising the Tesco order for today...and she said the fruit was soaking ready but she'd run out of brandy! Funny you should say that, I said, reaching into my pocket again... Gratitude all round there...

On the way to the cafe my urostomy bag decided to take some unscheduled time off. I was very grateful for my RADAR key and a disabled loo not too far away, for having all the necessary kit with me, including a little Lush perfume spray for olfactory camouflage...But, even though I can deal with it all on the surface very practically and philosophically, and deepest down I know it matters not one jot, there are layers between where I find it very hard, layers to do with self esteem and social confidence. Takes a lot of chutzpah to mingle in public places whilst gently steaming round the middle. And it is the middle rather than the underneath, we're not talking Tena lady territory here! But it would have been churlish to let Laura down and so I said it's my treat as long as you treat me to sitting still with my coat cunningly draped around me and do a recce of the cake selection on my behalf. And the light sponge layered with tangy orange filling and coated with a thick chocolate fudgy icing turned out to be one of the best cakes I've tasted ever so well worth keeping calm and carrying on for...

Today I'm grateful for Brandon and Mark at the stoma department of the hospital helping me with some unrelated exasperating baggage related issues. That the cab for this evening that the cab driver said he'd book with another company as he couldn't do, he didn't book before I told him that the time I needed it had changed (pay attention at the back there...there might be questions later!) All I need now is for the Tesco delivery to have in it the things I need to take with me and for them to come in time for me to get changed and get in the aforementioned cab. Oh and to stay awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics