Saturday 9 November 2013

Success

Brr! I'm grateful I can reach to switch the heater on without getting completely out of bed. I'm grateful that my room is small and warms up easily...

I'm grateful I booked a cab yesterday to pick me up this morning otherwise I might have stayed a lot later in my cosy bed and thus missed the things I intended to do - to see the film Deep Water about Donald Crowhurst's participation (and otherwise) in the round the world yacht race and a preceding talk about personality and deception by a clinical psychologist from a local forensic mental health unit. These were both informative and moving and followed by tea and cake provided by the fantastically functional ladies of the choir. I'm particularly grateful to the ones who manage to engage in conversation with me without reminding how I fail to be, or wanting to know exactly why...we can't all be Robin Knox-Johnston, and there'd be no point in him being him if we were. There's a lot to be said for being an also ran, a stumbled and fell, a lost at sea...for we who fail to achieve make those who do more aware of their success.

I was grateful for the other delights of the Science Festival such as dancing raisins, do it yourself lava lamps and cornflour pretending it was on QI.


I gave thanks too for the stunning clarity of the headlands in the sunshine around the bay. And for getting the essential shopping done at the Co-op before coming home to fail to knit anything and fail to cook and wash up. This afternoon I've been in touch with my inner Bernard Moitessier, pulling out of the race. I'm grateful for some considerable success at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics