Tuesday 12 November 2013

Top notes

I'm very grateful I went to choir last night. There were reasons not too - I was tired, for instance, and they were practising for an upcoming performance I won't be taking part in - but I wasn't as tired as I often can be, it wasn't cold or wet, and the neighbours you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night had gone away, so because I really wanted to have a sing I made the extra effort. It turned out the sky was stunningly beautiful with wreathes of cloud around patches of twinkling stars, and as well as David's jazzy piano we were rehearsing partly with a double bass (which you could hear all up the road giving the boy racers a run for their money!) and partly completely sweetly unaccompanied so it was all a great treat and very uplifting.

It dawned on me later that throughout my itinerant isolated childhood I joined school or church choirs, without prompting or cajoling or wondering if it was cool or even convenient, as if on an inbuilt mission to access all possible harmony.  You know it's good for you, you've seen that Gareth chap, but if your life is particularly lacking in opportunities for companionable co-operative activity it can be extra beneficial to the soul.

Statistically it's bound to happen, I guess...if you watch enough episodes of Come Dine with Me eventually you'll know a contestant. I can't say I really know this one, but enough to hear the name and the city and think 'Ooh, is that...?' And then see the face and the workplace and go 'Oh, yes it is!' It's kind of pleasing anyhow and I give thanks for that.

I give thanks for 'winning' a couple of balls of yarn on ebay that I'd had my eye on for a while but had waited to the last hour or so to bid for. There's something very satisfying in purchasing goods this way especially if you get a bargain as well as what you wanted to buy!

I give thanks for the brief pretty sunset clouds, for the last of a huge and flavoursome apple crumble for afternoon tea, and an even bigger cheesy leek and hazelnut bake in the oven for my supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics