Saturday 19 December 2015

Works

I give thanks for the void avoidance of a long bath and a good book, the comfort of my bed and, eventually, the mercy of sleep... I give thanks for the sounds of the wind and the rain falling on various surfaces outside, and for the sight of lights on a coaster outward bound on the late night tide...

I give thanks for waking up late and seeing the bright blue sky outside my window, before I realised I was still asleep...and when I awoke for real for keeping my eyes shut and lying still as long as possible to preserve the preferred state of not participating in the day. I give thanks that I'm able to nod and smile and speak when I'm spoken to and stay quiet when I'm not, but it's hard work pretending you're working better than you really are...and I give thanks too for murky weather and no need to be anywhere and do so...  I give thanks for getting on with long overdue housework instead.


I give thanks for remembering this pleasing stile from yesterday, and also a little miracle of something I thought was lost coming back... It's probably going to sound a bit sad, as even in a gratitude blog it's hard sometimes to tell my life in a way that isn't, but I discovered that my piercing four fingered whistle works again again after losing the knack when treatment damaged my hands. To be fair there's not been a lot of call for this talent that pleases me so in recent years - most people are too far away now for it to attract their attention, and I've not been anywhere where it's appreciated to show appreciation for live music this way. But the thing is, and it's a huge thing I'd blissfully forgotten until Jenny demonstrated it again, is that when I demonstrate it people look at me with respect... and it's the only time they do!

I give thanks for a Facebook chat later with Jan that set me thinking about lack of respect, appreciation etc... I reckon it is a kind of blessing to have had little of this, my reasoning being that, though we're always led to believe it's something that can be earned or won through merit, in fact it's lack in the perceiver not lack in the non-receiver that's the cause. It's not delusions of my own unrecognised splendour that make me think this...just observation of the way our minds work when we justify not behaving as well towards others as we could, and a largely solitary unappreciated life is ideal for time spent working things out!

I also give thanks I'm going on an Unexpected Journey in a little while... anything that turns my mind off for a little while works for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics