Monday 19 December 2016

Thinking inside the box

I give thanks that by great husbanding of strength and a good deal of planning I managed to get around enough places in town today to come back with enough of the things I was panicking about not getting to relax a little while zombi-ing on the sofa afterwards. Do not be mistaken, do not be misled...my unmissable over Christmas list contained just my favourite teabags and bread, some Potter's cough remedy and arnica gel for my sore bits. Let's just hope I can get my hands on some gas for the bathroom heater eh? I may not be due to have what anyone else would consider a fun time but there's no need for it to be any worse than it has to be...

Do not kid yourselves I don't mind this period of enforced inactivity, forcing myself to be active for only the most physically essential things. I'm grateful it's helping my back heal but it's a hard job not letting it break my spirit and twist my mind as the rest of my body is feeling well enough to do so much more, to be anywhere else but here. I'm not made of some special stoic stuff, I'm just like you and want nice things to do, but I'm grateful for not having had anything special planned that would be spoilt by the pain that still lies in wait, the lying down and waiting for the next little interval of relative OKness.

I give thanks by moving as quickly but gently as possible I got today's excursion finished while it was still almost dry, just a smattering of drops darkening the pavements. And for the line 'When the rain came I thought you'd leave...' coming into my head as I hobbled to the taxi rank. You have to be quite old and like husky voices to know that one! I give thanks by the miracle of modern technology I could play it on my phone when I got home...and be my teenage self a little while.

I give thanks for leftover pasta from yesterday's tea for my lunch, for a novel, QIXL and Catchphrase making me laugh. For remembering I've one more episode of Modus to watch...For the well timed wool discovery meaning I can make a start on Bob's jumper. For remembering what a privilege it is to be bored...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics