Sunday 18 June 2017

Bucket and sewing machine

I give thanks for the breathtaking changing pastels of the sea at sundown last night...the fragrance caress of clean sheets

I came across a story about a woman fighting cancer that kept coming back by ticking off what seemed to be rather ambitious experiences on a 'list for life' - I'm sure you know the kind of thing. I'm grateful there are people in the world who can do wonderful stuff - sick or well - but these feats are impossible to emulate for the great majority of life limiting illness sufferers no matter how adventurous their spirit or how far reaching their dreams, so bucket list tales do rankle a little. They're not really inspirational unless you already have an aspirational lifestyle with plenty of money, love, and luck. and as statistically you are far more likely to have poor health if you don't you may be less likely to fill your final months with activities like swimming with oceanic predators but trying to avoid loan sharks... Tsk, tsk...ranting again, I'm sorry. There are more nerves than the sciatic one feeling the pinch just now...

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that though the last few years have been less glossy magazine and more Big Issue and scrunched up tissues, I give thanks can see the little bits of glory in it here and there. For making another veggie pasta for lunch/tea and getting the washing up done and the kitchen cleared up afterwards. For electricity, mains water and the internet. For vacuuming just enough floor to cut out pieces of chambray to make some shorts. For knowing how to use a sewing machine and having one!

I give thanks for Mima taking me across the river in the still hot late afternoon sun to paddle on a different beach, sit in the sun and eat ice cream...followed by tea and cake at hers and a lift home. For a clock with 'Sea's the Day' on it. I'm partial to a pun and I've not seen that one before... and for one of the best planted and tended cottage garden style beds I've ever come across...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics