Friday 13 October 2017

Out of my hands

I didn't sleep well last night, but I give thanks for making peace with the fact that I might be at the hospital for many hours, if not a few days, and might leave with a hole in my body where one was not before...that I might be lectured sternly on all manner of things, including arriving there considerably later than they asked me to be...and being told all my plans for the next couple of weeks had to be scrapped - especially as none of the above actually occurred! In fact everyone on the team was so especially nice to me I began to wonder if I were heading straight for Rose Cottage instead. But no, not that either! I give thanks for action plans and re-arrangements instead, sharing of humour and jollity and even apologies for causing me so much distress and inconvenience...plus thanks to Ann for sending me a good book to read in between these slowly unfolding events.

I give thanks for the blustery drizzly autumn weather, as well suited to this day's activities as yesterday's was to those...

I give thanks for the bus driver saying I only needed a single to the next town not a full fare the whole way, as even the morning bus I did manage to catch was too early to use my pass. For the blood taker charming the veins in the back of my hand with a hot water balloon made out of a rubber glove so the needle slipped in unnoticed, for one of the younger doctors making me a cup of tea, and the consultant asking if I'd like to change the busy clinic appointment I'd been careful to work around when sorting out bobbing up to Sheffield, and come in at a time to suit at this more relaxed unit next day.

I give thanks for five mins kip as I soon as I eventually wearily arrived home again. And then a virtual chat about a trip out somewhere leafy with John and Jo on my new 'free' day. For Mima then arriving with renally friendly cream cakes to cheer me up with some real time conversation. Feeling nurtured is not something I'm particularly familiar with, but I think the last few hours come close to it...

I give thanks for not currently having any holes in my body that preclude immersion,  so I could have a lovely long soothing soak in the bath with a mug of chamomile tea while writing this to supplement the sensation...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics