Wednesday 21 March 2012

Buttons

Thank you to those who have had a go at being grateful on here. It's harder than you might think at first and doesn't come naturally to the majority of British adults - years of cultural instruction and practice means we are so much better at grumbling or criticising and we are always quick to add a qualifying clause to accompany any praise or appreciation! 'Great weather,' we say 'Bet it won't last!'. But for maximum benefit I find it works best to name or describe the joy and then put a full stop and leave it at that.

'I love the smell of fresh roast coffee' produces more positivity than 'I love the smell of fresh roast coffee...wish I could afford it every day!' Or ..'.better than that rubbish they have at work' or even '...funnily enough it used to make me sick when I was pregnant' which add a little negative shadow to cancel the effect out. I've set some poor examples sometimes I know but I'm only a beginner too and one of my particular failings is to describe the hassles that preceded the happinesses to show how extra grateful I am, or how things can be turned around.

Thinking how grateful you are things are NOT currently horrid works too but requires more effort not to focus on the perceived impending doom, causing stress and anxiety again. I really encourage you to read the book Why Kindness is Good for You and remember I'm trying it myself not just because I'm an airy fairy curly haired hippy and want to spread peace and love man but also because a number of studies have shown that consciously counting your happiness instead of your hassles increases physical well being as well as mental health. It can increase life expectancy and help you to enjoy the extra time more!

I give thanks for laughter

I give thanks for love

I give thanks for home comforts and all the unsung bits and bobs we use unthinking every day - clothes airers, nail clippers, washing up liquid, loo roll, plugs, pens, keys...

I give thanks for the table cloth I bought before Christmas at Homebase for £4.99 that covers most of an unfinished bedroom wall

I give thanks for Penny Brohn guided meditations, my mp3 player and earphones

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics