Tuesday 5 June 2012

Step up to the plate!



I'm grateful I had no plans for anything much today. Felt below par in ways that are par for the proverbial renally and no big deal as I was tired from my evening excursion and just wanted to get the chores done and try to stay awake in front of the TV. But, in the end, I thought 'How difficult can cookies be?' (I'll tell you just how easy in a min!) and did the various stages in instalments whist a simple savoury snack was cooking because I think when you're queasy it's best to give your digestion something to make its mind up with.

So this is what you do: Cream some soft butter or margarine with dark muscovado sugar. Add a couple of drops of almond extract, plenty of cocoa and wholemeal self raising flour until it stops being sticky and begins to bind together. Then lightly roll into little balls, spread them out on a greased tin and chill for an hour or so. Cook on about 180 electric until they're cookie shape and softly set.
Sorry I can't be more precise...I made the recipe up thirty years ago and have been making them ever since without ever needing measurements. I only looked at the cooker setting so I could say what it had been! You could adapt any biscuit recipe, and make them as shortbread in a pressed into a tin too but they're lighter like this. The trick is to chill them first. Well, let's be honest here, the trick is not to eat the mixture straight out of the bowl!

You could try different flour...I never have as I only ever buy one but whatever you do, don't change the sugar. Dark muscovado kind of treacle toffees the flavour and makes it more chocolatey somehow...

3 comments:

  1. Hope your lovely lookin cookies make you feel a bit better,

    Derek took me out for a drive today, so i've missed all the tennis, hope theres some highlights on later

    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daughter & both granddaughters came over today, well the sprat to catch the mackerel was, I would cook a 'spag bol' and chocolate sponge pudding, & would they bring the custard! Of course I now have 3 extra sewing jobs they brought to me, and six upset cats, they sort of half hate visitors if any of them look like children, and one of them is! And of course piles of washing up! Well must go find the agitated cats and give them a midnight snack as a peace offering. Sleep well Angel, hope your feeling less uraemic tomorrow. Love and gentle hugs Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe sounds good, may give it a try....but to be honest, even the birds don't eat my baking! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics