Sunday 29 June 2014

No arm in it

Late yesterday afternoon I was grateful for a little meditate and nap that set me up for the next round of Errol Flynning: Stay back - you marauding hoard of escaped cupboard contents! Unhand the empty ink cartridge - you intransigent printer! Take that - you rebel laptop, you shall download fresh drivers so I can scan that important document! Wait, what important document? Haha, think you can escape from me? I shall track you down and capture you and release my tea from the pit of fire while I do! It might not sound like sword fighting to you but it feels like it to me sometimes and felt as if I'd used as many muscles and joints by the time I climbed into bed, earplugged to the hilt, and windows tightly jammed against the sound of the howling hound next door and the cross man upstairs shouting about it. I was very grateful I could wriggle around and grumble and groan without disturbing anyone else...

Pain and illness can be a great leveller. There's people with plenty of material and emotional comfort and support in their lives, who have easy access to transport and treatment, money and love on one level...and then there's the rest of us! No matter how much easier it might be if you have a back up team I figure physically in the long run it doesn't make that much difference - we're all going to die and most of us will get sick along the way. But if you're used to getting your own way it must be a lot harder having to face the fact that there's some stuff you can't buy, or be graciously given, or bully or influence your way out of. I always remember hearing one family in hospital ranting that no one could tell them when a hospice bed would be free for their dad, clearly not grasping that some other loved ones (we hope) were currently clustering round it willing the occupant to live a bit longer. Anyway, someone's always been grateful when I've been on a ward with no visitors because they can come and ask if they can borrow my bedside chair! I give thanks for a great couple of programmes with Billy Connolly called the Big Send Off, looking at what we think is important at and after the end of life. Loved when he was looking at a mortician's materials stand at an industry fair and wondered if the shampoo was for 'dry, lifeless hair'! 

I give thanks for getting more chores done, getting a nap even though there's been a lot more audible crabbiness around again today and for idly wondering if I could remember what people said before the gerund of fornication featured quite so frequently in speech. 
For a Columbo I haven't seen before just when I really needed a Columbo couple of hours...for someone thinking of something to do in Blaenau apart from watch wet slate 
http://twistedsifter.com/2014/06/bounce-below-worlds-largest-underground-trampoline/ 
and for coaxing and cajoling my fingers, thumbs and wrists into a few more rows. Still a long way to go but less than there was yesterday...And yes, it does match the rug (again!)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics