Monday 16 June 2014

Zen and the art of bus maintenance

There are people who use endurance of discomfort to master their minds - army recruits, Vipassana retreatants etc. I give thanks I can do much of my training in the comfort of my home without pre dawn rising or shaving my head! Today I went for a brief hip and knee pain top up session, so of course I was delighted when it turned out to be longer and more testing than I thought, with the intense practice provided by extra walking and a long wait standing up at a bus stop. I'm not really being sarky...what do you ever learn from things being easy eh?

I'm grateful to all the friendly and helpful Tesco staff who persistently but politely gave me incorrect information about an exchange order which contributed to the situation. One of them even offered to drive me to the other store they were so sure I had to go to after I explained I really had not enough energy left and really wasn't entirely sure I should. That was kind and made that bit was easier, though for once I wasn't grateful to be right when I found out they were wrong and I could have done it all in the first place and been home again much quicker.

I give thanks that the bus did eventually come, and that there was room for a little one among the larger and louder hoards who'd been to the races, and that there was even a moment of pure pointless joy as it sidled tightly past another going the opposite way on a narrow stretch of road and a woman a few feet away on the other top deck also spontaneously burst into a smile and waved. I give thanks for seeing ducks and rabbits and tractors in the fields, and swifts swooping above them. Oh, and I was extra extra grateful when after our bus broke down at the bottom of the final hill, it worked again after a rest. I know the feeling...I'm going to get tea now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics