Friday 27 June 2014

Not making waves

I worked with someone once who was very scathing about a book by the Dalai Lama she said dealt with personality conflicts between monks. 'What's that got to do with me?' she said...and well, I reckon, quite a lot because if you're living a life devoted to acceptance and compassion and still people are peeing you off, any methods for approaching the situation that aren't to do with imposing your will or getting in a strop have got to be top level strategies! I am a natural redhead so I've already had to learn how to control a fiery temper, but I've a prodigious memory and a fine vocabulary which can be wielded as a weapon as well and, after several hours contemplating how NOT to use it, I've been grateful today to meet others trying to find ways to make the world more peaceful and less confrontational place. There's always going to be folk who leave you dumbfounded with their self obsession, mean spiritedness, rudeness or unkindness and you have to feel sorry for them for either not noticing they're doing it or noticing and carrying right on...

I give thanks for much friendliness about the town today - cab drivers, cafe owners, hairdressers, shop staff (in and out of their shops), neighbours on seaside seats, and some of the ladies who knit and natter meeting for a wool free, free hot drink at the local supermarket. I give thanks for stopping to pick up litter dropped in the square, and for all the crabby people I can hear round here this evening just making me chuckle (and feel sorry for them too, of course!)

I give thanks for all the glorious versions of grey in the sea and sky this afternoon...and sittting in the sunshine to see them! For someone telling me he was making an effort to talk about himself less...isn't that lovely? For pretty bracelets being made for me by those with more nimble fingers (or nibble, as Jan's phone called them!)... For accepting I'm too tired to go to the choir performance later, much as I'd like to and much as they've told me they love to see me beaming at them as they sing... For a lift up the hill and Mr Waitrose making tea tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics