Tuesday 24 June 2014

Stand and receive

I'm grateful I went to choir last night - the physical effort is easily offset by the emotional benefits. I always give thanks for the sense of being in an inclusive supportive environment. Whoever's sitting next to the retired professor in the early stages of dementia makes sure she's on the right bar, and a lady who's started coming with a crutch, a wrist splint and a music stand has inspired her neighbour with arthritic hands to bring one too...and me to pop into to the music shop in town and enquire about prices. There's so many things that make joining in hard for me but having my folder of songs held so I can use both hands if necessary to turn a page would be a help. I give thanks for singing Jenny for giving me a lift home...

This morning, exhausted, I was grateful for appointments at the doctor and dentist so I had to get up...and be out in the sunshine again. When the dentist said, as usual, of a filling repair 'We'll try without an injection,' for some reason I came over all of a wimp and said 'No, I want one please!' and I was grateful I did, as not only did it mean no pain or even discomfort but also I discovered how far dental injections have come since I last had one several years ago. The dentist no longer has to step back a pace or two to operate the plunger, the needle no longer feels as if it's coming out of your neck and the numbness is actually where you need it to be. Most impressive!

There's a lot going on in my life right now for which there's no easy treatment route available, and about which I find it hard to be grateful other than in an accepting sort of way. I am grateful for the opportunity for improving my skills of acceptance, and also on behalf of the friend I was supposed to meet tomorrow who cancelled earlier, as I might have slipped into unburdening mode and she has plenty enough burdens of her own to carry. I'm grateful of the offer of some advice about some of it from someone who knows via Ruth, bless her.  And for spotting this tiny lobelia blooming between a wall and a hard place...may I improve my skills in blooming also!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics