Saturday 14 June 2014

Benefit match

Yay, I give thanks for the World Cup! I'm not normally interested in international football but it led to a fascinating series of BBC documentaries about favela life in Rio so, even though I'm still not bothered about the matches and results, there's been something in it for me. I'm always grateful for the opportunity to find out more about those who are marginalised or tend to be spoken of en masse rather than as real, individual human beings not so very different than ourselves...oh, and for the chance to fool my readers into thinking I'm saying something else. Like to make sure you're actually listening!

I give thanks for the sky clouding over today as, though technically warm weather might be kinder to some of my aches and pains, too many sunny days in a row mean I'm likely to use my joints and muscles more than they prefer in order to be outside as much as the rest of me does. This is definitely the case today and I'm grateful for my warped sense of humour which means I find it quite amusing to be performing in quite such slow motion, and with such pitiful sound effects!

I'm grateful there's no one depending on me, nor expecting anything of me, but that I've managed to do what needs to be done a little at a time, having a bit of a tidy up and cobbling together some food. I give thanks I'm not often directly dependent on others much either...though taxi drivers and the Tesco delivery team do make my life a lot easier and I'm very grateful for them. I give thanks that, a well as helping myself this week, I've managed to be helpful to folk I've encountered a few times too - lending or giving things, sharing what I have. Few things make you feel more fortunate than having something to give away, and someone to benefit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics