Monday 17 April 2017

Dependence day

I give thanks for my favourite Higgedy spinach, feta and pine nut pie for my 'festive' tea. Even when I've tried to be a full time carnivore I've baulked at baby sheep... for goodness sake, that's like eating kittens! In fact after satisfying my meat craving last month I've become extra squeamish and have to turn away from the TV during the prep of most mains on Come Dine with Me. What I have been craving is lentil stew the way I used to make it before the potassium police had me in nutritional lock down, with chopped toms and potatoes. Oh, what the whatever, the lentils are soaking now. And the potatoes, to leach them as a good little kidney patient should...

I give thanks for doing something I don't ever remember doing for myself before - changing one of the kitchen spotlight bulbs. I've tried a few times but it's too high up and fiddly...and it was still too high up and fiddly last night but just on the point of giving up again I got lucky! If I manage to move from here I'll miss the spacious gracious feeling of high ceilings but not the practicalities...

I give thanks for watching two ships and the pilot boat steer carefully through the shallows into port after nightfall. One of them was lit up like a carnival float...beautiful...

I give thanks for my hands being able to find things in the dark. Not as much fun as it sounds I'm sure but it's useful to be able to reach for my water bottle without turning on the light or even opening my eyes if I wake up thirsty. Last night I remembered to be grateful for that, but was puzzled when I couldn't put the bottle back on the bedside table afterwards. I kept putting it down but I could tell it wasn't making contact with a flat surface. Then I remembered a cup was on there too and in the way so (still in the dark) I put that on the floor and put the bottle down safely. In the morning I saw how full the cup had been and gave thanks for not knocking it over!

I give thanks for an early night, for a strange dream of being cross with some people and going off in a huff to buy a scooter. No, not a mobility scooter...a vintage Vespa or Lambretta was what I had in mind! For waking up so tired and sore and sad I was quite grateful I didn't have anything nice to do, nor anyone nice to do it with... Some days looking after myself is all I can manage so I give thanks for managing that! Don't know how I'd cope without myself sometimes, I really don't... particular thanks to me for the lunchtime omelette. Very nice indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics