Sunday 2 April 2017

It figures

I give thanks for the sunny mild weather today for all the folk out and about to enjoy it...

For me? Hmm...let's see...  I give thanks I managed to defrost my feet last night after they were too long bare after bathtime (the socks that live by the bed for this purpose having fallen victim to yesterday's falling tea!) I give thanks for soothing music on my tablet when earplugs didn't quite spare me a droning moaning post midnight monologue from upstairs. I give thanks for sleeping well - sometimes the times when you're unconscious are the best bits of the day! For being able to dry racks of laundry at the open windows, and daring and bearing to look out...


I give thanks for being in too much pain to do more than look as tomorrow there's a lot of going out I can't get out of and so I've needed to try and keep still, and hurting can help with that. I give thanks for cooking some pasta for lunch. It was pretty rubbish to be honest but when you can really only be bothered with cough medicine and biscuits even rubbish pasta is something of note. I give thanks for a little snooze on the sofa and a hearty serving of 'instant' sherry trifle later on.

I give thanks for deciding to watch some figure skating on TV because it's beautiful and as I've never been able to skate I thought this would be free from wistful nerve touching memories. However it included Penny Coombes (a young British skater who suffered a terrible injury) talking about how incredibly hard she'd found it to be stuck indoors in pain unable to do the things she loved, that though people might find it over dramatic, it had felt so much that she had lost herself it was as if someone had died. And though of course I wasn't grateful for her suffering, to hear someone else say something like that, instead of just politely nodding if take my brave face off and do, was very moving and reassuring. A broken body can break your heart and though of course it's not OK that it does, I give thanks for realising it's OK to feel that way. I've been feeling such a failure for feeling so sad so I give thanks at least maybe that bit can get better...

I give thanks for all the neighbours being out for a little while. Those bits are always better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics