Sunday 19 August 2012

Groundhogging

First of all I have to give thanks to the rather camp and argumentative young man dominating the conversation in the garden next door yesterday evening...for encouraging me to get off my butt and get some washing up done! I'm still suffering rather with aches and stiffness and feeling so tired so I'm grateful for not having to get up early, nor do a great deal when I did!

I'm grateful for iplayers (or whatever the various channels call them) and for remembering to listen to the first episode of a new series of Fry's English Delight about perceiving and describing colour. This is an area where I've been delighted to meet Stephen Fry before, where I'm delighted to meet anyone there who's there willingly rather than being dragged with patient smile and politely raised eyebrows by me! I'm fascinated by this place where language and science and sight and culture intersect so that was a treat...And there was a contribution from someone who worked in paint colour naming. I remember when I first realised someone had to do that job (and also, at one time, name shades of sewing threads) and how much I wanted to too...

I'm grateful also that having sorted out some recycling to take to the bins downstairs, the sunshine broke through the mist and it was warm enough to take a towel and cushion and a book to finish, and that the grass, though damp, was not unpleasantly so... And especially that no one else on the terrace was doing anything noisy at the time. Somebody lent me the book. I haven't seen her for months but maybe I will some time and can give it back and say thank you. The taxi driver offered to lend me some too...so I'm grateful for that kind thought. Um, that's about it really... I'm not sure how it got to be so late. There seems to be washing up again!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics