Saturday 4 August 2012

Sitting miracle

I give thanks for all the jaw droppingly good tennis I watched yesterday afternoon in the men's semi finals. See, there's an advantage to feeling feeble sometimes! Despite taking place at Wimbledon, there's a very different atmosphere in the Olympic matches to the annual tournament, partly because of the 'shorter' format but also you can really tell how much it means to the players to be playing for glory rather than money, and in a one off sporting event ie. a very great deal! (I do understand there are other Olympics, but the temporal and geographic gaps between make each one somewhat unique.) Brilliant stuff, anyway!

It's going to sound a bit lame maybe, but I'm so aware how lucky I am to have lived to see these games. I remember so well when it was announced the bid had been accepted. I hadn't been waiting with bated breath but was dimly aware the decision day was nigh, but it was a day memorable for other personal reasons and in the middle of it I heard cheers over the radio inside a cafe and then the people inside cheering too, and thought...oh yeah, the Olympics. It seems so long ago, and I remember so well who I was then - what mattered to me, where I lived, who I saw, what my hopes and expectations were...even the clothes I wore. I had no idea what the future was going to bring...and that between then and 2012 I'd be so close to having no future, so many times. People would drone on about the Mayan calendar and I'd think to myself - Huh! You think your world's going to last that long? I should be so lucky! And well...I blooming well am! So remember that if you think I'm a saddo sitting here getting excited about TV...I'm a surviving saddo, a sitting miracle in fact!

I give thanks that as well as watching TV I made some tasty soup with excess veg and 'invented' the crochet hem for my new jumper. Still gotta knit the jumper mind you....but the planning and prep stage is very satisfying. I enjoy playing with colours and shapes and enjoy the maths challenges too. I was always making knitting patterns when I had my market stall but I'd completely forgotten about punching holes in knitting machine cards til last night. Some ideas I made as garments to sell, some I sold the designs. Wish I'd kept the magazines they were in...I expect some crazed fan stole them don't you? Ha ha! And that reminds me...no, I didn't hear from Julian Clary...

I'm grateful I feel up to a trip to the library in a little while...and that I can get a taxi there and walk through a different part of town back to the rank to get one back up the hill. I'll pass shops selling things like hand made chocolates and craft materials...ideal places to pop in to dodge the showers! May you all find serendipitous diversions in your day...may you be well, may you be happy, may you be at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics