Monday 8 October 2012

Light match

Last night I did something that felt at the time rather rebellious and wicked - and thus somewhat enjoyable in and of itself (what with me being such a goodly and pure kind of being!) Don't get over excited dear reader: all it was was that I left a huge mound of washing up undone. I do know I don't HAVE to do it, but I do like to go into a clean kitchen in the morning and if I sit still too long in the evenings either my joints seize up and it's hard to move at all, or I fall asleep...or sometimes both! But yesterday I decided to give my bedroom an extra tidy instead, lighting the candles and twinkly lights, rearranging the silk flowers and polishing the dresser top. I did think I might regret it in the morning (as is often the case with wickedness and rebelliousness, don't you find?) but, as fate would have it, I felt very weak and tired and stayed in bed so late I had plenty of opportunity to be grateful the view from my pillows was so pleasing! I also gave thanks that although there was low mist and rain it was actually quite thin cloud and so the rising sun filtering through it gave such a pretty pale golden light. Matched my wallpaper perfectly, ha ha! 

In a curious way I give thanks for spilling my morning cup of tea as a) it didn't make too much of a mess and b) it made enough of a mess to get me up and out of it! Thanks also, when I finally went to get some food, for the sudden smell of tomato plants that came when pulling one off the little bit of vine on the supermarket tray...took me back to gardening days...

I give thanks for the luxury of a leisurely day (yes, I did do the washing up eventually!) and a pleasant session of catch up TV. In the latest episode of the BBC history of domestic servants there were, as there frequently are in programmes when the presenter has been to Cornwall, shots taken on the train coming back. I often spot views I know well in the background when this happens, but for some reason in this case the cameraperson decided to dispense with an image of the woman speaking altogether and there were several seconds' footage of Exeter St Thomas platform and the backs of surrounding houses. This had nothing to do with the narrative so I'm not sure why. It's not even the most scenic part of the line (sorry, St Thomas!) but I give thanks for the thrill of unexpected recognition, and for my own beady eyes... I enjoy it when the television takes me to places I cannot go...and also to places I know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics