Thursday 25 October 2012

Sum stuff

Wow, the sea was so loud last night! Eventually the wind joined in but to begin with  there was hardly a breeze so you could really hear the roar of the surf. Sounded almost like a motorway. No, actually, I'm grateful to say, much nicer than a motorway!

I give thanks for a candlelit bath. I love the quality of silence without the background noise of bulbs, and I sang a favourite song to myself.... It's called the Saucy Sailor or Poor Jack and it's been around for two or three hundred years at least. Some people I know are Catholic, but I'm eclectic instead. Boom boom!

I'm grateful for getting the sums right in the jumper I'm making so that there are the right number of stitches at the bottom of the sleeve to crochet the pattern I'd planned for the cuff, and at the top to fit my armhole I'd made on the body, and that the shaping in between has come out arm shaped! It's only basic maths but basically, if you get it wrong the errors can multiply all by themselves! Just got to finish the sewing up and trimming now... 

I'm also grateful I'm wearing a skirt exactly like the ones I used to make and wear in the '80s and '90s. Well, not exactly the same...this one is considerably wider and longer than those were! And I wasn't into ra ra skirts in case you're wondering and wincing at the thought. The sartorial nostalgia was brought on by seeing a pair of flat boots I liked in Stead & Simpson for the remarkably reasonable sum of £25, and then the old fashioned knicker and elastic shop in town here (the ones where they used to sell sanitary napkins, but don't tell the boys OK?) having a sale on coloured opaque tights. I kept thinking, 'Oh, if only I could have one of those little black skirts I used to make again', and perusing the internet without success before finally twigging the solution was in the verb not the noun! They are so easy and comfy and versatile...

I'm grateful that I'm going to the hairdressers today and don't need to try to detangle my hair but can bundle it under a hat. Just for a trim... When my hair grew back after alopecia it was in patchy shapes here and there, like the continents on a globe though not one of this planet, that's for sure! So there's still some areas that are shorter than the rest and it's an ongoing process of evening up as I can't hold scissors and a comb myself any more...Skirt or not, I'm not into exploring my feminine side so far as to get a 'style'. I'm mean seriously...me? Come on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics