Thursday 31 January 2013

Flat of the rising sun

I'm grateful for being kept awake by the sound of Enya from 5 am. This is a 'relativity' gratitude...there are worse ways/worse times! And it meant I got to see the dawn break in white cloud over white sea...quite Enya-esque actually! I'm grateful I've done the sensible thing and remade the sofa bed in case I want an option tonight...

I'm grateful for finishing the piece I was writing for a competition. I know it's finished because they just extended the deadline (which was today) and I didn't think...ooh great - I can make it better! I have issues with competitions, but like a lot of things in life with limitations and benefits as long as you can understand which bits seem like which to you, it's a start. The main limitation of competitions in general, as far as I can see, is that someone wins and they end. Up until then, all the striving and trying, the focus and fun can be great stuff...as long as all involved think that it's fun too of course. In the case of this particular writing competition, I heard about it when I was in the doldrums a couple of weeks ago and felt capable of meeting the requirements, and even slightly motivated...despite the fact that I spent a couple of days still doldrumming uninspired! And now it's done and it feels good but, although some of you might not understand, I don't care what happens next. Unless it's a piece of coursework for which the marks count to a qualification, or a commission for which you might not get paid, creativity doesn't work that way I find, it's not intrinsically attention or approval seeking. It's about getting something out not in!

I was grateful to click on the pay and send buttons and then see this on the Positive News site which touched  on some themes I've been reading, writing and thinking about lately. If it's not your 'cup of tea' just stick with the idea from the title of 'sharing understandings'. Imagine the world of the mind as a big buffet party where everyone can choose whatever they'd like to put on their plate in any quantity and combination. Other people's choices might not be to your taste but as long as they're not forcing them down anyone else's throat that's OK! http://positivenews.org.uk/2013/culture/10865/top-visionaries-share-understandings-world-london-tedx-event/

Or how about this piece with words and images about the work of street photographer Joel Meyerowitz?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-21188741

Or some words, images and music from my cousin Simon?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbc9sdHEDk&feature=youtu.be

Or this about St Mungo's Recovery College. Check out the course list on their website...including 'Drumming without drums' and 'Thinking about thinking'! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21236680

All the above brought me some pleasure in their own way already today...I trust you're finding some pleasure in your way in yours...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your competition, I've been sending in my "Take a break" competitions every week for like a million years and all I've ever won was £20 worth of easter eggs! Haha, but I love my crosswords etc, so I guess it's the taking part that counts, right?

    Still on my mobile, B.T. Has let me down, so I can't check out the sites you've mentioned, sound very interesting though, may top up my dongle, feeling a bit lost without the internet, how sad is that? A sign of the times I guess

    Take care Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics