Monday 28 January 2013

Warm and wet

Scientists think I talk a lot of twaddle...some are friends, some arch enemies of the chat room scene, some 'do science' for a job, some merely align themselves on the side of what can be proved feeling sure that means they're right. They're quite bright chaps and chapesses mostly, I wouldn't dream of denigrating their intelligence as sometimes they do mine. However (you could feel that 'however' coming on, couldn't you? There was evidence, I'm sure - it couldn't be an irrational perception!) I do love it when people who do science seek the proof of twaddle and this article is my first gratitude of the day...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21150047

Warm and wet...lovely phrase! And that's the weather they forecast but it's been too windy here to feel warm. I find wind quite exhilarating so there's thanks for that but there's a door here that mustn't blow shut which can be a worry if a window is open. Today I'd downloaded some wonderful music to meditate to (grateful for the music, the facilities and the 'activity' I planned) and this door clicked shut just as I was about to start. So I listened to the soothing sounds as I tried and failed to pull back the latch, looked for tools, removed the handle, turned the spindle with pliers, released myself from captivity and, deciding I couldn't go through this palaver again decided to remove the latch altogether and have handles that turn only the air. This was no mean feat for my fumbly feeble hands so I was very thankful for the co-operation they gave though my wrists are rather sore and I think knitting will be a no-no tonight!

I always mean to ask the scientists...What is love? Can they measure it...has it been proved? And does that describe how they perceive the object of their affections? I love metta and meditation. Scientists are beginning to amass that all important empirical evidence for the benefits of meditation http://blog.ted.com/2013/01/11/4-scientific-studies-on-how-meditation-can-affect-your-heart-brain-and-creativity/
Don't think they've started on metta yet...but the thing is, being a warm and wet sort of being, not steely and hard like a measuring thing, I meditated because it felt good before anyone proved it so I'll be carrying on with the metta too guys and I wish you much wellness in the meantime!

1 comment:

  1. This one is my favorite post. I think it will help me a lot in my further studies and research. Very well written I appreciate & must say good job.Old guys rule

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics