Monday 21 October 2013

Rain management

I had an appointment at a pain management clinic a couple of towns away today...I'm grateful the journey wasn't too much of one! Despite foul weather warnings, and indeed some foul weather, I managed to be outside in the OK bits though a good view or two was obscured by some heavy rain when I was on the bus!


I always give thanks when I don't need to resort to volunteer patient transport. No, my body doesn't work very well any more, no I don't have much in the way of material wealth, social standing or obvious emotional support but it doesn't mean I'm fair game as an object for pity or patronisation which can creep into a tone of voice very easily when well meaning people view my apparently small and insignificant life. Seriously guys, any kind of sense of security or a 'big life' you have that's wrapped up in anything you could lose in an earthquake (including loved ones) I envy not one jot! I was grateful for the uplifting chants of Imee Ooi, the peace inside my head...not having to talk about being ill, or the weather or the news...and that one of the bus drivers kept waiting for people who weren't at the stop in time - very kind!

Although I arrived at the hospital not expecting much I actually found it really astonishingly helpful and useful in several ways. After a chat the physio decided the pain/fatigue management techniques I'm evolving for myself through mindfulness and meditation practices are growing as finely and dandily as can be! This is, in fact, the kind of thing they advocate for all their patients (not just the ones with curly hair and joss sticks at home!) and my gratitude overflows that more people can thus have a chance to learn to live their lives properly whatever their health or lack of it. It's some of the best news I think I've ever had because it's good news for everyone. But there was good news for me personally too, because I discovered there is such a thing as seated Tai Chi, which I'd not realised before. Think I'll be taking up their recommendations on this!
http://www.sdhct.nhs.uk/aboutus/services/painservice/improvinghealthandfitness/4_taichi.php

I was very grateful the connections connected on the way home in time for a long rest in bed so I'd be able to get up again for tea and choir. And I give thanks I sincerely believe I can manage the rain this evening as well...whether it's true or not!

1 comment:

  1. Sitting down Tai chi sounds right up my street! A life is a life however it may be perceived. All life is worthy of respect, love, and happiness. I am glad the bus was a nicer ride for you. Our buses are a little bumpy and rattly and therefore kinda scary! lol.
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics