Tuesday 22 October 2013

Singularly good

Yesterday was a good day in many ways so today I've still been giving thanks for that! For one thing, even though I was outdoors on several separate occasions when between buildings or buses, only a handful of raindrops fell on me...

I'm grateful I went to choir practice though, to be honest, I'm more grateful to be there than to go and come back which always seems a humungous effort. For the first few weeks I wondered if I'd made an embarrassing mistake. My voice was like a forgotten piano in an unused room, in need of polish and woodworm treatment never mind tuning, but last night I gave thanks when I began to make some sounds I was happy with in the songs I've sung a couple of times before. My sight reading is still rubbish and as the lyrics of these pieces are a little unusual and challenging I mean sight reading the words let alone the tune! I've accepted there's no way I will be ready to join in the upcoming performances in two or three weeks time. Public performance hadn't been the motive for joining anyway but when I realised the choir was taking part in the local Jazz Festival there was a bit when I wanted to just to be able to drop it into conversation (at every available opportunity no doubt). I was very grateful when it dawned on me I'd avoided a bit of unnecessary vanity by saying 'no'...

When I get in after rehearsal I'm too tired to go to bed straight away so I slump on the sofa a while goggling at the box. Last night there was an epic episode of Catfish to enjoy with a mug of instant Horlicks so there was much thanks for both of those.

I hear that we've been told that standing up is good for us...well, sitting down had been just great today! I give thanks for all the occasions I have, and to Laura for popping round to put a coat of paint on the bathroom door for me. She stood up to do it so my fatigue has been of benefit to someone...I'm very grateful for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics