Tuesday 1 October 2013

The pain of gain

A 'footnote': If you tried this pattern yesterday you may have noticed the end of row stitch numbers were wrong. I added them at the last minute before printing and didn't check my sums! The instructions are fine though so here they are again and, in case you were thinking of making some for anyone who might think the others too girly, I've done a Dennis the Menace version - cast on in red and then work two rows black, two rows red all the way through...


MINI STOCKINGS
Cast on 15 sts in DK yarn and knit 4 rows (garter stitch)
Knit and purl next 9 alternate rows (stocking stitch)
14th row knit 5, knit into back and front of next 4 sts, knit 6 (19 sts)
15th row knit
16th row knit 7, knit into back and front of next 4 sts, knit 8 (23 sts)
17th row knit
18th row knit 2, knit 2 together, knit 15, knit 2 together, knit 2 (21 sts)
19th row knit
20th row knit 2, knit 2 together, knit 4, knit 2 together, knit 1, knit 2 together, knit 4, knit 2 together, knit 2. Cast off remaining 17 sts

Hints and tips: I use 5mm needles for these, actually children's mini plastic ones as they are small and light like the project. If you want to put a crochet loop on them leave a long end when you cast on or join in the second colour.

OK, now gratitudes for the day... 

To Rachel for gently nagging me to include patterns and recipes! This is quite a struggle for me as I do tend to keep all that stuff in my head where it never needs to be measured or counted...it just is!

To my legs for carrying me part way down the hill and back for choir practice yesterday evening. Hips don't lie (as the song says) and mine are saying they are going to give me a real hard time about ignoring their need for sofa time of an evening, but I'm very grateful they've not persuaded my knees to fully join in the protest yet. Upper limbs have been complaining about the knitting though and my left hand going into spasm as it does when it's tired, forming a frantic V-sign which makes me chuckle even though it hurts so I'm grateful for that too!

I'm grateful I worked out where I knew another singer from...it took a while, but then it's been a while - we worked in the same place a few miles away around the turn of the century though our paths didn't cross very often. I'm grateful to everyone there for making me feel so welcome. It's hard work getting there and back and the works themselves are quite challenging but I'm really appreciating the experience.

I'm grateful for a day largely in the recovery position! For all the things I have recorded to watch on TV so I don't have to watch what's broadcast in the daytime schedules, and for murky wet weather that makes snuggling up on the sofa feel even more welcome. I'm grateful that in instalments over the last couple of days I've got some lentil and sweet potato stew to stew in the slow cooker...and that it smells rather tasty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics