Thursday 19 November 2015

It's a forgiving thing

I give thanks for this article I spotted last night  http://positivenews.org.uk/2015/wellbeing/18776/eight-steps-achieving-forgiveness/

It reminded me it would be good if I could apply the understanding and compassion I use in forgiving others to my own foibles and failures...instead of always telling myself how much better I should do. I give thanks for resolving I must try harder... and to forgive myself when I don't succeed!

I give thanks for meeting the various challenges of the day trying to apply these techniques. One of the hardest things was being near shops this time of year - I find myself wishing I had places to go to wear the sparkly clothing, or hang the sparkly decorations... or occasions to share the tasty food...but most of all folk on whom to bestow some of that wonderful stuff on display (without making them feel embarrassed and awkward) ...or (even more embarrassing to admit) folk to want to bestow some of it on me! I give thanks for forgiving myself the envy, the unrealistic aspirations of acquisition and for wanting to give people more than they want from me.

I give thanks for for trying to be polite and kind, to be patient with public transport operators and users, humorous with hospital patients and staff, appreciative of moments here and there in the grey damp drudgery.

I give thanks for arriving back... eventually... to relative peacefulness upstairs and next door. Second to someone in my indoors calling out 'How was your day? Fancy a cuppa?' or, while we're in full on fantasy mood, 'So glad you're home, I missed you!' that's the most welcoming sound I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics