Monday 22 May 2017

On the bright side


I give thanks I got a snap of these pimped up scooters yesterday before they buzzed off elsewhere somewhere. There were some impressive motorbikes at the other side of the event, and the segregation interested me. Though far too young for it to be of any relevance I remember the playground question were you a mod or a rocker and, seeing the appeal of each, I could never quite make up my mind, though the correct establishment answer that they were both beyond the pale was clearly never going to cross my mind!

In manifestly manipulated manifesto time, the issue of making apparently important distinctions and choices and then demonising those who have made different ones gives me the shudders. I give thanks anyone I know given to political (or religious) ranting knows better than to rant at me!

I give thanks my brief foray into the academics of anthropology mean I understand that to reinforce the sense of belonging in any group one must identify (and probably vilify) those who are outside it, but the taking of sides seems so often a precursor to the taking up of arms verbally if not literally. I give thanks for my perennial tendency for multifaceted opinion...no matter how exasperating others may find it sometimes.

Meanwhile, on the bright side, I give thanks for sunshine warm enough to take off my jacket and roll up my trouser legs. For enjoying one of those 'Aren't we lucky to live here?' chats for some minutes with a stranger on the back beach before we realised we actually knew each other, though largely only by phone! For popping in to knitting and seeing Dorothy who I've not had a chance to talk to for such a long time. For a potter round our friendly shops and businesses wearing pearls, baseball boots and a silly grin because it really is such a joy to be here, especially when summer arrives before the visitors do!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics