Thursday 14 May 2020

Reborn

Forty one years ago (and quite a few miles away!) the grass was thick with dandelion flowers. I planned to pick some for wine making on my way back from an ante natal appointment, but the ante turned out to be shorter than expected and by twelve minutes past ten in the evening I had a baby! I give thanks for my son, and I give great thanks he grew up to be someone on the same wavelength as me as during the years since I've been born I've come to understand this is quite a rare occurrence!

I don't know if other mothers feel the same on their children's birthdays but it always seems as to me that I should celebrate or be treated (non medically) in some way and, though I had no plans, for unexpectedly finding a great deal of delight. I give thanks for a long laze late in bed and then rustling up a batch of pancakes for brunch and a curry for tea all before midday. Realising I was moving at unusual speed I wondered about leaving the chores and heading outdoors, so I checked with my back and my knees and was grateful they agreed they'd support my choices on a 'play now, pay later' basis. This was especially good timing as an appointment for another scan had just arrived to remind me times may be in short supply.

I give thanks for looking at a map and leaving it behind and following my nose along a series of footpaths up above the town. There was hardly anyone else around and everyone who was was carefully avoiding each other which I found particularly welcome as I kept making involuntary gasps and whimpers of pleasure. It wasn't just the sweeping views of rolling hills and sea, the meadow and hedgerow flowers, the warm sunshine and fresh air...it was the exquisite contentment of walking in the countryside by myself for a while. I've been grateful for some fine hiking companions in the past but had completely forgotten what a special joy can be found trudging along alone outdoors particularly somewhere new. Many years and dreary years have passed since I had that feeling and I am so grateful for discovering it again, and it bringing to mind some wonderful walks I've taken in younger fitter days. I also give thanks if, despite my care, I've picked up something (else) fatal I've made another memory to treasure in the process and, tired on the sofa now, for all kinds of happy chemicals coursing through my system. I give thanks for that ready made supper,,,the trick now is to get into the bath while I'm still capable of getting out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics