Wednesday 30 May 2012

Getting grounded

Yes, the Murray match was perfect for a doze here and there and when I started watching the Williams one after my attention was wandering...So I gave up and put a slice of veggie pie in the oven and munched that during the 'season finale' of CSI NY recorded on Saturday when I hadn't been able to keep my eyes open either. Frankly that was pretty yawny too but when I turned back to the tennis oh my goodness what a final game! Thank goodness it was at the end of play for the day so they could show us some of the other highlights from the match there and then... I'd never heard of her opponent Razzano though she has a bit of interesting history it seems and I hope she carries on providing such good sport! Did anyone see the match where a player had to concede at match point? And then there was 'luck of the draw' that pitched the only two Colombians against each other. Mmmm...I love a bit of random! Or was that tidy? Ha ha! I also found out earlier that after their daily warm up session the ball boys and girls lie down and meditate en masse. Gold star for Roland Garros!

I give thanks that the reason I'm feeling crap today because I went out and 'pushed myself' yesterday. It's not my favourite term...like 'overdoing' it, it has a hint of wimp about it. I'm recovering from stuff that challenged me...that's more my style! As long as you don't examine the level of challenge too closely and (never recommended) compare it to anything else then it's all good. Having only met Judith briefly in hospital it was a strange coincidence to find she too used to be a 'serious' walker until recently and also finds the lack of long, vigorous, away from it all tramps not only disappointing and frustrating but also actually claustrophobic. You can sympathise with anyone, empathise or offer counselling with appropriate skills, but you have to have been there and be unable to be there again to understand how unpleasant this feels. I've not been able to explain it to anyone before as I only know people who still do or who never have. The guitar thing also. I was never a great player but it still felt great doing it. I do genuinely give thanks for the opportunity to explore the flip side of loss...appreciating it is better to have had something to lose, cherishing memories and learning to experience sadness without getting sad about being sad (some of you will get this more than others, I know) and also, of course, being more mindful of the privilege of now without getting too attached to it. All things must pass and all that!


Meanwhile I give thanks for remembering to roast my beginning to get wrinkled peppers so they look like a tempting ingredient again. For still being able to knit...I have two sleeves and four or five inches of back done now. Casting on requires full concentration and a lot of luck but then it's OK as long as I don't drop or do a stitch the wrong way...that wiggly thing you do with the needle tips to sort it out is absurdly hard for me these days. To the taxi driver yesterday afternoon who was approached by me and another regular at the same time from different angles so took us together as my home was on the way to hers. We were all quite happy with that! And to Ivor for inadvertently reminding me how fortunate I am to have a tree outside my living room window. Yes, this time of year the leaves obscure much the sea but what a treat to see tree leaves and wildlife activities going on a few feet away but many feet off the ground!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angel, so you don't have to be a 20ft person just a singing Blackbird, a Greenfinch or a Blue tit looking for something juicy to eat to see over your windowsill, and the tree is such a wonderful shape but cannot quite make out the species. Have not seen anything of the French Open, but looking forward to Wimbledon, and here I have a confession to make: not an enthusiast of women's tennis, can't stand all that half-screeching that they do, and here comes a gratitude; that the men don't always find it so necessary to grunt when serving the ball! Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer men's singles too Pat (though mixed doubles can be entertaining) so when I saw a women's match was good...it was very, very good!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics